Wednesday 20 October 2010

Wednesday 20th October

Just called NICU and got some positive status updates. The nightshift nurse was still in from her nightshift and gave me the lowdown on Willow – who has been good since 2am. Stanley is also stable. Keep up the good work, kids!

The doc called the house at about 9.30pm. I picked up the phone and just heard the beeps of the NICU; which is obviously immediately unsettling. He told me that they had to put Willow back on the ventilator after having a massive bradycardia and needing bagging again. So were a bit gutted about this, but that was obviously for the best and there’s nothing we can do about it.

Also, tonight I did some bad Googling. Just before The Apprentice started, I was trying to find out what problem Stanley had with his heart. I knew it was an issue with his left ventricle, so the first possible problem Google suggests is something called ‘Hypo-plastic left heart syndrome’ which is possibly the worst thing I could have read. This is where the left side of the heart is totally under developed, and will always need major surgery, if not a transplant. So, assuming this is what Stanley had, I went downstairs and quietly panicked whilst watching The Apprentice. I didn’t tell Leela because I didn’t want her to worry as well, so I squirmed on my own. Needless to say, I didn’t get much sleep that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment